Volunteer Befriender: North West Leeds
- MHA Live at Home Community Support ProjectView all jobs
Live at Home was established in 1989 by Methodist Homes for the Aged (MHA), a charity providing care homes, housing and support services for older people throughout Britain. The local Live at Home schemes in Leeds offer services and support to help older people lead independent, active and fulfilled lives and to live securely in their own homes.
Our Community Support Project is a new initiative in North West Leeds working closely with the Live at Home schemes in the Horsforth, Farsley and Pudsey areas. Specialist Volunteer Befrienders visit, support and motivate older people who may be recovering from a period of ill health, a hospital stay or have experienced a breakdown in their social networks. The Befrienders help them rebuild their confidence to go out and reconnect with their community.
We are now recruiting enthusiastic and dedicated Volunteer Befrienders to provide an older person with short term support:
• Just one or two hours of your time each week; daytime Mon - Fri
• Short term support for up to 10 weeks
• Make a real positive difference to combat and prevent loneliness
• Become a valuable link in connecting people back to their community
• Help reduce the risk of re-admission to hospital.
If you can spare a few hours on a week day, please get in touch now to find out more and apply to become our next Volunteer Befriender. We are especially keen to hear from you if you are over 50 and/or male.
Hours: Part time
Closing date for applications: Tuesday, 31 December 2019
I was successful in being granted some money towards my education project (Praise God!!)